There are only two of us, so I feel we don't go through quite as much paper towel as some people, but we do use them for a LOT of things. Small spills, to cover things that may splatter in the microwave, as napkins, and occasionally as coasters for sweating glasses. I got a great deal on some beautiful glass coasters at Ross, so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem anymore. But similar to toilet cloth, switching to cloth for something I have traditionally used paper for has felt very strange and a lot perverse. It's just WRONG.
I got over wiping down counters with unpaper towels pretty fast. That's not so bad.
Using unpaper towels as napkins has been a bigger challenge. I had to put away the one roll of paper towel we have in the house just to keep myself from automatically grabbing them. I have to repeat to myself, over and over again, "It's okay to stain them." I think I will also revisit the idea of buying pretty cloth napkins for when we have company or a nice meal, but that can certainly wait.
Hopefully it doesn't take as long to adjust to these as it did to adjust to toilet cloth but I'm extremely proud that one more paper product is being removed from daily use in our household.
Another way to do this and save even more money is to buy the big 18 packs of white or multicolored washcloths at Walmart for 2.50-$4 a pack. I use them for EVERYTHING! I would eventually like to get a nice roll of snapping unpaper towels, but for now these work GREAT and I don't get sad if they get stained. I use them on my Libman swiffer type mop because the reusable pads for that cost $8 and aren't very absorbent, I use them for wiping spills, as napkins, wet them and wipe up sticky little hands and faces :). And because they are so inexpensive, I can have a huge supply so I always have them on hand :). I also have 3 little boys though, so I NEED a big supply, lol!
ReplyDelete