My first batch of homemade laundry detergent is almost gone. I like it, it works just fine, etc etc. But I wanna try something else.
Last night, I grated up 2/3 of a bar of Fels-Naptha soap to use instead of Ivory. I like the smell better so far and, to be honest, using a bar of Ivory soap for my clothing always seemed a little weird.
After making my first batch I came across a suggestion to grate up your soap early, let it sit out uncovered for a week so that it dries up. Then, when you mix up your batch of laundry detergent the soap should disintegrate into a finer powder and dissolve better even in cold water in your washer. My soap is currently keeping my yeast company while it dries out in our very warm closet.
I also finally bit the bullet and bought real essential oil to mix into my "fabric softener" AKA vinegar. The fragrance oil is working fine and smells very nice but I need to use a dropper-ful and a half of it to 1/2 cup of vinegar for it to work! Yikes. Since fragrance oil is much cheaper than EO, I'm not sure if I'm actually saving money by switching to EO but I'm certainly saving myself some annoyance and that's good enough.
I think that's all for now! We won't be getting our washer and dryer installed until sometime later this week, but I'll report back then.
Oh, yes, the recipe I'm using for my reference and yours:
Laundry Detergent
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda
1 cup Fels-Naptha soap
-- 1tbsp for regular load, 2tbsp for full load
Fabric Softener
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 drop EO (trying tea tree oil and sweet orange oil)
No comments:
Post a Comment